The Grand Mosque - June 2015

By Kimberlene Ericka - 3:55:00 PM

I went to see the iconic Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi also known as Sheikh Zayed Mosque last year when I was staying in Dubai for a few months.


Sheikh Zayed from Google Images

I first heard about The Grand Mosque during my time in the architecture university. It is common for us to discuss fascinating structures and be inspired by them.

I was once a simple person; I go to a place eat their food, breathe their air, take random photos and observe how people look in a certain place I am in, but when I was studying architecture my curiosity and fascination in various styles grew bigger that I wouldn't be able to leave a place without even visiting any prominent architecture building in the area.

As you approach the mosque it is very impossible for anyone not to notice how majestic it is. Once I had a chance to enter the gate I couldn't help myself but stare in awe how the architecture style were beautifully executed.


Entrance 
The structure was built from a very elegant material, Macedonian SIVEC marble. Islamic architecture have been known by its artistically rich details in its facade and ornamentation in its interior, the Grand Mosque as a perfect example.


Islamic Ornaments
The rich details used in the ceiling and ornaments atop the columns were built with sophistication.

The concept behind this magnificent and iconic architecture is how they innovated the Islamic architecture in a more modern manner using fine techniques lies a masterpiece that is culturally rich as well.

For anyone who wants to enter the mosque, there is a dress code especially for females - abaya. The female needs to fully cover their body before they can enter a holy place as the beliefs of Muslims. You don't need to worry if you don't have any abaya, there is a changing room downstairs that will let you borrow, you just need to lend your identity card/travel document and they will return it to you once you've returned the clothes.

It was 42 degrees Celsius when I went there last year, it was so hot I am close to dehydrating! Gladly, there's a drinking fountain or something like that available inside! Fresh, clean and cold water so you don't need to worry. If you are not Islam/Muslim you are not allowed to step on the center plaza of the mosque which they use during Ramadan for worshiping.

Below are the photos from my trip using my Samsung Note 3 with semi-wide lens.






























  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Powered by Blogger.